xmas and the dark party (aka new year) .... a little late
So, basically since we got back from the US in October, we've been sick or ridiculously busy - although well enough for Halloween.Most of the autumn was spent trying to figure out where to send the kids to school, which involved visiting a number of nearby schools. The anticipation was far worse than the reality, as is often the case. I had no idea what to expect from school here - the system is vastly different to what I grew up with, where there was one option for school. Here there are schools every few thousand feet. The application has gone in and now we wait to see where we've gotten in (and hopefully we've gotten both kids in the same school, otherwise the appeals process starts). We definitely might think about separating them later, but I'm certainly not ready for that yet and I don't think they are either.



Christmas was good fun. We all got about a week off and enjoyed it rather thoroughly. This year, the kids really thought it was the bees knees and knew the routine of ripping everything open. Although both kids walked past the tree with presents under it on it on Christmas morning. And we had to wake one of them up to start the present opening ceremony.
Auntie Sam came to visit for New Year's Eve and we had a "dark party", which is the kids version of a party outside after dark. The kids were very excited. We had a picnic in our garden starting around 5pm. We had hot chocolate and sausages and the kids played on their scooters. We had candles and sparklers and poppers. It was lots and lots of fun. And then L and A went to bed and we tried to make it to midnight. Didn't happen, but it was still nice and we welcomed in 2011.
Things are still very busy, but we've got a brief reprieve before the next onslaught begins. That being organizing the 74th Annual Meteoritical Society Meeting - a great honor, but also a bit daunting sometimes. Turns out that I'm learning a heck of a lot more about UK tax law than I really ever had hoped I would. But it will all be great in the end.
Will end with a couple of silly pics and a nice one of Phil with the kids.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home